The issue with Fleas:

Fleas are irritating pests causing pets to itch and scratch, damaging the skin.   Some pets are allergic to the flea’s saliva making them intensely itchy with a single bite.   It is estimated that flea-related diseases account for almost 50% of skin problems reported to veterinarians.

The adult fleas that you see are only the tip of the iceberg – estimated to be 5%. The other 95% are in the form of invisible eggs, immature fleas and fleas in the environment.  As the weather gets warmer the flea life cycle speeds up, and if left unchecked can reach epidemic proportions in a short time.

How to control Fleas:

To reduce and control the flea population a strategic plan is required.

New treatment options are available for pets providing an extended length of protection in easy to use formulations. Bravecto and Nexgard chews for dogs are given as a yummy treats, act internally, and work well for dogs who love to swim. Bravecto spot-on for dogs and cats comes in an easy to apply external treatment lasting 6 months for dogs, and 3 months in cats. These longer lasting treatments give consistent protection for your pet while having a great safety profile. They kill adult fleas before they have a chance to lay eggs so will help reduce the environmental flea population.

Also regular vacuuming and washing pets bedding will help control the immature fleas.

Reducing Fleas in your Home:

If pets haven’t received regular treatments and there is an infestation at home a flea bomb is needed. The Indorex House pack kills both adult and immature stages and works for up to 12 months.

Next Steps:

In summary, with different products to choose from let your Vet or Vet nurse advise you on which is best for your pet and lifestyle. You can call us on 08008387267, or pop into one of our four clinics, Papamoa Village Vets, Tauranga Vets, Te Puna Vets or Katikati Vets.